At the Accommodation Office in HMS NELSON, we are trying to raise awareness of a small amount of welfare housing we have available for short term lets to service personnel and their dependants in need. Below is the updated RNTM containing all the details, including the application process, for any suitable individuals and families.
NAVY MEWS – HMS NELSON
Sponsor: Accommodation and Facilities Officer (AFO) – Cliona Willis
Liaison: Accommodation Support – Sarah Dixon
13 May 22
1. The aim of this Royal Navy Temporary Memorandum (RNTM) is to promulgate the eligibility criteria, costs and priority systems for use of the Navy Mews.
2. The first phase of the Portsmouth Naval Base Navy Mews were opened in December 2016. They consisted of 3 units (Family Flats or Mews) and were designed for Service personnel who are separated or divorced parents that were struggling to maintain quality time in a safe homely environment with their children.
3. It soon became apparent that the need for service personnel to retain contact with family went far beyond purely separated parents and in 2019 an additional 2 units were created.
4. This is an NBC(P) personnel support initiative to assist in maintaining MC of OC and indirectly support operational outputs as a retention positive measure.
5. The facilities are in DREADNOUGHT building, inside Queen Street Gate HMS Nelson and have been funded jointly by RNRMC, NBC(P) and HMS NELSON’s Leisure and Amenities (LAF) fund. The Accommodation Support manages the facilities on a day to day basis.
6. The aim of this RNTM is to promulgate the revised booking system, eligibility rules/priority system, essential conditions of use and charges. This system is regularly amended to reflect lessons learned over the preceding months of therefore previous users should never assume the same charges will apply
Eligibility and Booking Periods
7. All Service Personnel are eligible to apply but priority will still be given to single separated parents with children. All applications will be assessed against the priority criteria below.
8. Each booking will be given a priority code (A-G), priority A being the highest; Annex A also details how far in advance bookings can be made. AFO reserves the right to allocate a priority code and charge for any case that does not fall specifically into the categories listed.
9. Booking period will be Friday 1200 to Monday 1000 or Monday 1200 to Friday 1000. Welfare cases may be considered for timescales that do not fall into the advertised criteria but will only be considered by the AFO.
10. Guests may collect their keys from 12:00 on the day of arrival, from the Office of the Watch in Nelson and be returned by 10:00 on the day of departure leaving the facility clean and tidy.
11. There are 5 units/flats facilities under the banner of ‘Navy Mews’ as follows:
The “Major Francis Harvey RM VC” Rooms (Flat 1). Sleeps 4. Ground floor facility with disabled access, DDA compliant, lounge / diner, 1 x double bedroom, 1 x interconnecting twin bedroom, wet room.
The “Able Seaman Jack Cornwell VC” Rooms (Flat 2). Sleeps 5. 1st floor facility, lounge / diner, 1 x double bedroom, 1 x single bedroom, 1 x bunked room, bathroom.
The “Ordinary Seaman John Carless VC” Rooms (Flat 3). Sleeps 7. 1st floor facility, lounge / diner, 1 x double bedroom, 1 x twin bedroom, 1 x bunked room, bathroom.
The “Lt Cdr RN Arthur Harrison VC” Rooms (Flat 4). Sleeps 4. 1st floor facility, lounge / diner, 2 x double bedroom, 1 x bunked room, bathroom
The “CPO Kate Nesbitt MC” Rooms (Flat 5). Sleeps 4. 1st floor facility, lounge / diner, 1 x double bedroom, 1 x bunked room, bathroom.
Charges and Payment
12. Current charges are at Annex A. Successful applicants will be notified by email and will have 5 working days to make payment. Payment is to be made by cheque to the LAF, HMS NELSON, and must be paid prior to occupancy. Payments can also be made by bank transfer to: RBS HOLTS: Sort Code: 16-19-26 Account No: 20015969 quoting ‘MEWS – SURNAME’ as the Reference.
13. A mandatory payment of £7.50 per booking will be added to cover accident insurance held by the LAF. Regular users may purchase an annual insurance for £40 per calendar year.
14. All applicants must have a military sponsor (normally the applicant) who must remain with their guests at all times. Any breach of this mandatory requirement will render the SP ineligible for future applications.
15. All successful applications/bookings will be subject to the security state in force. If the security state is increased above ‘HEIGHTENED’ all bookings may be cancelled at very little notice or no notice and, Mews guests in residence will be required to vacate. This is a condition of use. In the event of this occurring, the cost of booking only will be refunded; no compensation will be paid in consideration of travel or alternative accommodation arrangements.
16. Applicants are responsible for their guests at all times particularly children. The facilities contain many toys, games and books to entertain children off all ages. Not all will be appropriate for the ages of the children staying. Occupants are requested to leave the facility as they would wish to find it with toys and games packed away, all pieces kept together, beds stripped.
17. Please Note Portsmouth Naval Base is now SMOKE FREE. Guests may Vape only in designated areas and this may require the sponsor to provide an escort. The nearest designated area is in the HMS Nelson courtyard. Smoking of Cigarettes is prohibited..
18. If any of your guests requiring a Personal evacuation Plan in case of fire, please notify the Officer of the Watch when you arrive.
19. Please email: NAVY NBCP-NAVY MEWS (MULTIUSER) <NAVYNBCP-NAVYMEWS@mod.gov.uk> to enquire about availability
Applications should be made by completing the attached form at Annex B.
20. This RNTM is to be reviewed and re-issued by 13 May 23.
A: Priority system and charges
B: Application form
C: Covid instructions